Friday, November 7, 2008

India - Part "do"

Me and some of the girls at the orphanage
As I was saying, I defied all laws of physics and probability and made it to the orphanage. And I love it. (I don't think I mentioned that in the last email, but I should have - right away.) I have fallen in love with the kids there. They are all so sweet, and eager to learn and play.

But back to my arrival. I was greeted outside by the "father" of the orphanage (not any sort of religious father, as they are all Hindu there, but I think of him as the father of all of the children there).

He's a kind-faced, round sort of man, maybe about 65 years old. I was told to sit (in a chair that was brought for me), and brought Chai tea and "biscuits" (i.e., cookies). First, let me say, this chai tea is like nothing I've ever had before. It's a delicious blend of spices and creamy milk, and there's definitely some sugar in there, too. It's a daily necessity - at least four times daily.

Anyway, I tell of this only to begin to exemplify their hospitality. He speaks very little English, but he has told me more than once that I am his guest, like a daughter to him, and he is very happy to have me there. I came here to help with the kids, but I have ended up becoming royalty. They serve me every meal - literally bring it out on a tray, bringing in hot roti and puri off the skillet when mine has disappeared from my plate. And when I'm done, the dishes are silently taken away before I have a chance to say "Dhanywad" ("Thank you" in Hindi). Now I know what you're thinking: she's supposed to be there working, helping, she should do other people's dishes! Trust me, the attempt was made. I've tried several times, even just to do my own dishes. My sneakiness worked on about two occasions (when people left the kitchen after bringing me chai), but I was foiled every other time, and honestly, they seem mostly offended if I try to take in my own dishes, or serve my own plate. It disrupts the order of things more than it helps. They are the hosts, I am their guest. That is how they see it, and they have certainly fulfilled that role to its utmost.

And, I feel like part of the family as well. I have learned several words in Hindi, from the girls as well as the adults and my guidebooks. The constant game is pointing at something and exchanging the Hindi and English word for the given object. Or, simply trying to have a conversation - that's a game in itself. But, I've played tag, soccer, duck-duck-goose, and danced with them, too. And yesterday, I learned to make parathas on the stove, and the day before, roti (can't make the dough, just roll them and fry them).


As far as logistics, there are probably 25 girls, and 15 boys (they stay upstairs, so I don't see them as much) at the orphanage. The girls range from I think 4 years old to 15. The older ones cook and clean every day, and go to class part of the day. The younger ones go to school, then play the rest of the afternoon til TV watching time in the evening, just before bed. (TV is either an Indian TV show or Tom and Jerry). There is a man (the "father" mentioned before) and a woman (the "mother" as I think of her, about 55 or 60) who play those roles, and Vivek, who is 22 and manages the business side of things. He speaks the most English, but it is still very "weak" according to him (and although it's much stronger than my Hindi, I'd say that's still
an accurate description).

There is (as you may have guessed) no internet there, so I am forced to cram my lifetime's worth of experiences from the last week into these two emails now that I am traveling.

So, quickly (I will try to write again sooner this time), I am now in Agra with Charlie, a girl (it's short for Charlene) who is from England. She came on Thursday, which I was very glad of since it meant I had a traveling buddy. We saw the Taj Mahal, but I will try to save that for another post, as I feel I'm starting to ramble and my fingers are tired of this old keyboard. For now, just know that it is completely and totally amazing, completely and totally different, and
I completely and totally love every minute.

p.s. "do" is Hindi for "two" ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment