Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tartans & Tea



Braveheart and me

Hard to believe my time in Edinburgh is almost up. I've learned a lot while I've been here. For one thing, different patterns of plaid (or "tartan") are used to represent the different clans in Scotland. (Perhaps those who have seen Braveheart already picked up on this.) There's a different tartan for every clan, as well as the city of Edinburgh itself, and even for the University of Edinburgh! And, as long as I'm going to mention Braveheart, I also learned from Leanne's fiance - a native of Edinburgh - that the Scottish accents in that movie are apparently nowhere close to accurate. Ah well... Hollywood can only go so far.

I've also learned to always carry an umbrella. Or, at least wear a raincoat. Apparently, the saying goes that if you can see Fife - the land on the other side of the estuary from Edinburgh - clearly, then it's going to rain. If you can't see it, then it's already raining.

But, the clouds do create beautiful lighting. Today I stood in the Abbey at Holyrood Palace (Holyrood Palace is the residence of Her Majesty the Queen when she's in Edinburgh) and felt like I was on a movie set. The lighting or setting couldn't have been better if someone had planned it. But it was quite the opposite of planned. The abbey was built in 1128, and after being attacked and partially destroyed by a mob in the 1600s due to Catholic vs. protestant
turmoil, the roof caved in in the 1700s, leaving it in ruin as it is today. Much happened to shape this place, but none of the ruin that has come to it was intended to give me the view of it I had today. This structure, open to the sky, with soft green moss creeping across the old, worn stones and sunlight pouring in and streaming across the crumbling columns... this place captivated me. It's one of the few places I know I will try to hold in my mind's eye, to go back and visit years from now.


Holyrood Abbey

I suppose I'll wrap it up here. The "tea" in the title has no specific story attached, except that we continue to drink tea at every opportunity. Also worthy of note, Leanne's mom flew in today, and all three of us went to see Mary Poppins tonight onstage, which was great
fun. I have one more day here tomorrow, during which we plan to attempt to have tea AND SCONES at the teahouse I mentioned in my last post, and then I fly out on Saturday for Delhi!

I hope to write again after a few days in India!


No comments:

Post a Comment